License Requirements

   To obtain a Minor's Provisional License you must:

  • Be at least 16 years old.

  • Prove that you have finished both Driver Education and Driver Training. You should receive two of the following certificates. Classroom Driver Education or Online Driver Education qualify as the same course.
      Classroom Driver Education DL400B
      Online Driver Education DL400C
      Driver Training DL400D

  • Have had a California instruction permit for at least 6 months.

  • Provide a parent's signature on your instruction permit stating you have completed the 50 hours of supervised driving practice (10 hours must be night driving) outlined in the Parent-Teen Training Guide.

  • Pass the behind-the-wheel driving test. You have three chances to pass the driving test while your permit is valid. If you fail the driving test, you must pay a $6 retest fee for a second or third attempt and wait two weeks before your are tested again.

  • You may drive alone with your provisional license, as long as you are not involved in accidents or have traffic violations. The following restrictions apply: During the first 12 months after you are licensed, you cannot drive between 11pm and 5am and you cannot transport passengers under age 20 unless you are accompanied by your parent or guardian, a licensed driver 25 years of age or older, or a licensed or certified driving instructor.


  • The law allows the following exceptions when reasonable transportation is not available and it is necessary for you to drive. A note required to explain the necessity and the date when the driving necessity will end.

  • Medical necessity.
    The note must be signed by your physician.

  • School or school-authorized activity.
    The note must be signed by your school principal, dean, or his or her designee.

  • Employment necessity.
    The note must be signed by your employer and verify employment.

  • Immediate need of your family member.
    The note must be signed by your parent or legal guardian.

  • Emancipated minor.
    No documentation is needed. However, you must have already declared yourself, emancipated and provided DMV with Proof of Financial Responsibility (SR 1 P) in lieu of your guarantor's signatures.

  | | Enroll Now
Copyright ©